Friday 16 December 2011

Grounded for 2 Months?

I've arrived back at Clarence Dock Visitor Moorings today after 2.5 weeks up at Granary Wharf.

At the free BW side - Granary Wharf



Last friday I moved over the canal to the stepped moorings outside the Mint Hotel to get water and top up with power.  Was a windy few nights as the gales blew and Annie rolled and slammed against the dock wall!  But at least it meant water (hot as well) and a weekend of iplayer!  

Annie has now moved outside the Mint hotel (far left of picture beside Bonnie)


Thanks to the crew from the Kirkstall Flyboat (http://www.tripboat.co.uk/) who helped me move back over the canal to a safe mooring late on Tuesday with more high winds forecast.  Give them a call if you fancy sampling the Leeds Waterfront or have any party requirements!

Last Sunday we drove (by car) to Donna Nook in N Lincolnshire after reading  http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.com/ and checking out the fab pictures.  Wasn't sure what to expect - would there be anything there?  After a 2.5 hour drive it was a case of fingers crossed!  Pictures to follow shortly.



As it turned our there were over 1100 pups born this year, most of which had been left by their parents to fend for themselves by the time we got there.  A most impressive sight and nowhere else have I managed to get this close to wild seals on land.  Can't recommend it enough but do remember they are likely to have all left by the end of December until they  arrive back on the beach in November for another go.  Fat, cute, furry friends they were.



Well I'm back at Clarence Dock - final manoeuvre is to get back into my residential arm.  Will probably leave this until after my nights on Monday.  Hopefully it'll be a nice calm day and the residents of the flats will not be too disturbed by my presence, and refrain from bombarding me!  Big apologies to the NB in front of me who I rammed whilst mooring up.  Lost my reverse power just at a critical time - I've since retrieved a hoody and an anorak from my prop - I wonder how it went round at all! Guess I'm likely to be stuck here for a couple of months, especially if things freeze over again as per the last post.  So far just a bit of sleet, and those strong winds - little to get too excited about.

  

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Donna Nook, its amazing isn't it.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep it made our day - already looking forward to next year! Do let me know if you find anything else of note 'up north'!

    ReplyDelete